Enrich your Reading


 There's no money in it

CLAUDIA, MUNICH, GERMANY

I graduated in Munich two years ago with a degree in Media Studies. After that, I applied for lots of jobs in film and television. I know its a competitive area, but I didnt get any interviews! Not one! Everyone wanted me to have work experience, but how can you get work experience if nobody gives you a job?

In the end, I took unpaid work with a public relations company. To begin with, I hated it. I only did boring jobs like making coffee for people and photocopying, but recently Ive started doing more interesting things. At the moment, Im organising the European distribution of a new German film.

Im not happy about working for no money, and sometimes I think the company is exploiting me, so Im looking for other work. I cant live without pay for another year!


JEROME, SIERRA LEONE

I worked as a doctor in a small town in Switzerland for almost thirty years and I retired five years ago. To begin with, I enjoyed it, but I soon got bored. Then I saw an advertisement for Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO) and applied. They offered me a job working in Sierra Leone and I moved here nine months ago. They paid for my flight and they pay my rent, but basically Im working for nothing.

Im not complaining, though. Its amazing! Im having the best time of my life. Life can be very hard for people here, but everyone has a really positive attitude. Now, Im doing some training with local doctors and advising them on how to improve services. My contract ends in three months, but Im planning to stay here for another year, if I can.


SULOCHANA, KERALA, INDIA

Im a housewife but Im also working for an organisation thats fighting for womens rights. I dont get paid, but I dont mind because were hoping to make our government pay housewives like me a fixed salary and a pension for the work we do in the home. Venezuela did something similar a few years ago.

Women play an important role in building the nation. Without mothers and wives at home, men need to do more work and this takes more energy. But men dont understand this and thats why were organising ourselves. 

Were planning to start a website to tell more people about our situation and were also thinking of stopping work and going on strike. Lets see how men survive on their own then!

No comments:

Post a Comment