Passages


 1. I Like To Help

I have always enjoyed helping people out. In my hometown, I volunteered at a homeless shelter on the weekends. I served food and interacted with the guests – listening to their stories and sharing mine. During this time, I developed an understanding of how difficult life can be for those living in poverty, as well as how much of a difference anyone can make through kindness and care. 


Recently, I had the privilege of going to India on a short trip working with local charities– it was an incredible experience that I will never forget. The work we did was brighter than any touristic activity – visiting orphanages, giving out supplies to families in need, playing sports with children and simply being present for those who needed an extra bit of company were all deeply rewarding experiences. Living among loved ones is something that everyone deserves to experience in their lifetime, but many don’t have that basic right; so it was amazing to help out simply by showing up: spending time getting to know people and offering whatever assistance we could. It put into perspective that life isn't always easy or fair but we should strive to not just give what little we can physically offer- but open our hearts too. 


Helping people doesn't take away my own struggles – but makes them more manageable when seen through a wider lens!

No comments:

Post a Comment